• Page:

TOPIC:

North Point Steelhead 7/20 Jul 21, 2024 6:12 pm #39907

• Start Paddling
  • Start Paddling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 364
Trailered to North Point Friday night with intentions of staying in Friday night and getting after it very early on Saturday.  Showed up to do some launch scouting and talked to some guys that said the full moon would keep them active all night and that if we want big kings now is the time.  We mulled it over but stuck with our original plan.  We were on plane Saturday morning at 3:45 and setup in 150 with lots of moonshine spoons.  200 copper took the first king in the dark.  As the sun came up steelhead chaos ensued for a majority of the morning and we had lost count of the fish box and the hookups.  Despite the action we never got into any big kings, but we did let the little ones off at the back.  Went all the way out to 230 but came back in later to 160- best depth probably 160-200.  Finished around 10:45 with our 15- really worked hard for that last fish.  Just about every rod hit(6c/8c/100/150/200) but the downriggers/sliders with moonshines and green SS spoons (eyeball man) did the work 55-75 down.  Also had quite a few hits with white flashers on dipsies.  The rest of the board hits were mostly blue/green moonshine spoons.  Did get our last steelie on an 8 color with a plug.  We probably hooked into 15-20 steelhead altogether.  Ended 18/30ish and the final tally was:

10 steelhead
4 coho
1 king

The radio said there were bigger kings getting caught but never ran into any ourselves.  I don’t think the full moon totally killed the king bite but I don’t think it helped us in the morning either.  Lots of mixed results at the ramp with some boats getting them early and some really struggling.  There is so much water out there it’s almost hard to narrow down a consistent depth to fish.  Only downside was that the trollmaster wires that control my kicker’s servpro motor decided to undo themselves from the terminal plug early in the morning.  Good thing we had our speed set at the right pace when it happened because there was no changing it all day!  1.8-2.1 at the ball.  Also shoutout to Fish Hawk for getting me a new probe asap.  All around great time and looking forward to returning.  

Also a note that the fish house there is out-of-service so you’ll have to do it on the lake or run to Waukegan like we did.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmik34, dogsbestfriend, Pikesmith, Joez, edac, Ltrain, LWL, AlwaysSomething

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Start Paddling. Reason: Pls move to salmon sub forum

North Point Steelhead 7/20 Jul 21, 2024 7:01 pm #39908

• Tmik34
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1217
Nice job, you sure did find them steelies! That's a fun time I bet. Northpoint is a great fishery all summer.
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

North Point Steelhead 7/20 Jul 21, 2024 7:16 pm #39909

• bob
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 741
Wow! Great trip congrats
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

North Point Steelhead 7/20 Jul 21, 2024 9:13 pm #39911

• Joez
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 171
Great report, had to be a great day!
Sea Ray 250 Weekender
Catchin ZZZ's

North Point Steelhead 7/20 Jul 22, 2024 8:18 am #39913

• Ltrain
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 300
Wow sounds like a great, action packed day.
Thanks for the report.
200hp Tohatsu
9.9hp Tohatsu
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 Li batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 tabs
Traxstech 72" , Berts 24" tracks
2 Big Jon Capt packs
MK 15' Talon
Lowrance autopilot

North Point Steelhead 7/20 Jul 23, 2024 1:45 pm #39932

• Trent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 9/12/1957
  • Thank you received: 371
Very nice! Thanks for the information! Congratulations

• Page: