• Page:

TOPIC:

Way-Way East Oct 05, 2024 6:46 am #40133

• BNature
  • BNature's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1461
 Just got back from a trip to the New York waters of Lake Erie. Many reasons to go that far but two good reasons is there are lot's of walleyes and the majority of them are jumbos!  My first day of fishing  was brutal - both the conditions and winding in the fish. We left Dunkirk Harbor and went 9 miles out to the Canadian Line. Ride out was hour/twenty in the three to five footers from the north. Turned back south and deployed an 8, 9 and 10 color 'cores on each side pulled wide with Church boards. 
(reaffirmed my choice to 1: switch to weighted steel and 2: use big boards instead of inlines.) South troll was somewhat comfortable and the waves decreased to 2 to 3 feet in the few hours it took to catch 18 walleyes, 2 steelhead and 2 perch. Six of the walleyes were 19 to 24 inches, 12 were 24 to 28.5.  Never turned the boat.  
Second day we fished out of Barcelona, NY about 6 miles offshore used only four divers. (Dreamweaver 107s) and an 8 color core down the shoot. Caught another 18 fish limit, half the fish were the jumbos.  Biggest was 29-incher. Divers set 120 and 140 using 20# braid. 
Stickbaits were lure of choice both days  - color didn't seem to matter, much.  Way more fun angling the fish than the cores/inlines.   

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty, Lickety-Split, go4bigfish, slack57

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Way-Way East Oct 05, 2024 8:59 am #40135

• Dirty
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1723
Looks like a great time Mike!
Boatless!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: