TOPIC:

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 18, 2015 4:52 pm #1082

• reel fun
  • reel fun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 215
With the beautiful weather, bugged out of work a couple hours early yesterday afternoon and made our way out to the lake. Things still seemed a bit slow, we managed 3 keeper hos, 1 throwback short ho, and 1 8lb greaser. We moved all around from 15 fow out to 50 fow, in front of the lighthouse, and west.
Went out early this morning, and after a promising tip from a captain at the cleaning station the night before, ventured into the skinny water, 6'-8' and pulled 6 long lines, and set a couple riggers down 5' and back 20'.
Got 7 keeper hos this morning, and 1 brown. Had 1 undersized ho, and one juvenile clipped king. A slow pick with no real pattern is what we saw. All the usual suspects took fish or hits.
Brother Nature turned right in front of us on the end of his eastern troll and cut right in front of us on his westward run, the bite slowed after that...so I'm blaming it on Capt Mike!!
It was certainly a great couple of trips weather wise, it was interesting watching the wind and the ripples/waves working its way towards us from the north, you could see it coming for quite a distance.
Anyone know what it took for the buffalo bill? Seemed like a lot of the tournament boats came west and worked the area from black ditch down to the state park. Noticed several heading offshore mid to late morning, I presume they probably had their 10 dink cohos and were heading out to try for some weight.
Water temps were 49-51 friday evening, and mid 40's most of the day today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogsbestfriend, theROO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 18, 2015 6:31 pm #1084

• bob
  • Thank you received: 742
Thanks for the report Mike. Glad you were able to get on some fish. I was getting them shallow on Wednesday, but not that shallow. Good job.
Sea Ray 290 Amberjack
Kelliann 4

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 18, 2015 7:14 pm #1085

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1728
Yea thats really shallow - glad you got on some.
Boatless!

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 18, 2015 7:44 pm #1088

• reel fun
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
yeah..that was all pretty foreign to me also. Majority of our time was spent in the 10' range, but up and over sandbars we got as shallow as 5' at times. It did produce some fish, I was pretty skeptical myself until it worked..lol

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 18, 2015 7:45 pm #1089

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1728
learn something new everyday :)
Boatless!

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 18, 2015 8:54 pm #1096

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
When I left the weigh in today the top score was 134 with 34 pounds. Of the 34 lbs was a 16 lb king. I was a guest on the Fishin Pols boat today and we caught 4 fish between 7-9:30. Lost one nice Steelie as well. From 9:30 - 1:00 we didn't even get a hit. Caught the fish between 20 and 50 FOW and like Reel Fun said it was just a slow pick. One Brown, one Steel and two Coho. Guys that did well did so out deep. Once the NE wind started it was dead in MC.
Team Rippin'Lips

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 18, 2015 9:33 pm #1097

• dogsbestfriend
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 537
fished east of MC harbor in 7' to 10' for an hour without a bite (4/18), then offshore to surface temperature breaks in 85 to 90 feet, which dropped from 44 to 38 degrees within one mile at some spots out there. Landed a dozen small fish (nine coho, three steel) in 3.25 hours. Spotty bite on Thin Fins (silver/chartreuse ribs best) and buffalo bill Super Slims (double orange and buffalo bill best) on surface and three color leadcores. Ran back into 40' for 45 minutes and lucked into a 11-pound Chinook.
Seemed like there should have been a lot more fish on the breaks with the way the coho disappeared near shore the last two days and seeing plenty of bugs and assorted debris on the slicks in those depths.
Of note, there were steady marks near bottom, which we presumed were your favorite trout.

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 19, 2015 7:56 am #1104

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1466
Reel Fun. Shows to go you, don't fish near me because I'm scooping up all the fish in the area and you are just left with the scraps! If only that were true.... It was a strange morning with where the fish were and the bites. I hope I didn't crowd you and though I didn't recognize your boat at the time, seemed like everytime we passed I did catch a fish, so thanks. Surprised you didn't catch anymore dink kings. I think we had a half dozen of them. I had a couple fishing with me and I made a sticker and pasted it on her jacket proclaiming here the Queen of Kings. Most of mine were hatchery fish. Compared to my experience and reports, Saturday was an overall tough bite.

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 19, 2015 8:59 am #1109

• reel fun
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
It wasn't a problem BN, we were nearing the end of our "western" troll from MC, and you were nearing the end of your "eastern" troll from the ditch, we just turned around a little earlier than we had planned, we knew you would take all the biters, lol, no sense following that spread. I did give you a call on 68, but afterward, thought you probably monitored 80 or something, didn't know if you scanned or not. Apparently it got rough out there in the afternoon? We quit at noon with just a chop.

Mich City 4/17 evening, 4/18 morning Apr 20, 2015 7:45 am #1123

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1466
I don't have a "scanner" radio so most of the time if I'm out of EC I keep it on 68 and when in Portage I keep it on 80. Offshore when the MC boats are around I do put it on 05 or 88 to talk to those guys. I don't mind talking on the radio, but my customers come first and even if you try to contact me on the channel I'm monitoring, I don't always answer if I'm busy. (And I hope I'm busy.)

• Page: