Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Copper ? May 05, 2015 8:28 pm #1339

• Tmik34
  • Tmik34's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1218
Hey guys, I have primarly fished leadcore but I have started messing with copper with a couple 150' copper rods. Copper takes up a lot of space on the reels so my question is how much line capacity on the reel suits 300' copper or a 250' copper?
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Copper ? May 05, 2015 8:33 pm #1340

• Dirty
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1728
I am looking to do the same. Once I have some more $$$ I plan to just by a prespooled okuma wiht 300' copper to keep the guesswork out of it. Would sure like to hear what the experienced guys have to say though :)
Boatless!

Copper ? May 05, 2015 9:37 pm #1341

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 313
I use the Okuma CV55L reels for all of my copper rigs. I carry 1 400', 300', 225 and 2-150's. I use Okuma CP-Cl rods and only have 4. I keep whatever copper reel I'm not using on the boat and I'll switch it with another when I feel I need that length. Below 150 depth I have some leadcore rigs I can run. The reason I like the 55 series reels is you an put a lot of backer on which makes the spool diameter pretty large. This in effect increases the gear ratio so bringing them in is pretty quick. Plus I like to send the 150's way out beyond the 300/400 so the extra backer helps. 45 series work, but not much backer can be used and the retrieval is slower. I use bloodrun green copper backer which is Fluor coated mono and a 2300' spool is around 50 bucks. It works well and won't break the bank.
Team Rippin'Lips

Copper ? May 05, 2015 9:41 pm #1342

• Lickety-Split
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1769
I'm sure that there are many different thought on this one Tim. Get the reels that you can afford with the largest line capacity.
I'm alittle old school and don't use a counter reel for my coppers. I try to get a couple of hundred yards for backing to be safe. I also went down in size to the thinner copper made by blood run, which helps for line capacity issues.
Lickety-Split

Life is not measured by the breaths you take
but by the moments that take your breath away

Copper ? May 05, 2015 9:53 pm #1343

• Tmik34
  • Tmik34's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1218
Gotcha. I think I put 450' of backing on before my first trip...not usually enough for copper or is that ok amount? Any noticable difference from the 30lb and 45lb? Of all of these reels mentions how much is the regular line capacity of them so I can compare to some of the reels I have now?
-Lady M- Sea Ray 290 Amberjack

Copper ? May 05, 2015 10:00 pm #1344

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I agree with Lickety Split and run the Bloodrun 32 # Copper. Easier to work with and still sinks pretty deep. Google bloodrun copper depth chart and you can see the test runs.
Team Rippin'Lips

Copper ? May 05, 2015 10:05 pm #1345

• Baron2150
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Also the bloodrun site has a reel fill chart showing different popular reels with varying lengths of copper / backer. Pretty handy! The 32 copper acts similar to lead and is pretty easy to use. 45 is a little stiffer and more challenging when letting it out, but it does sink deeper than 32. I have one of my 150's with 45 and its a noticeable differance.
Team Rippin'Lips

Copper ? May 05, 2015 10:18 pm #1346

• Lickety-Split
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tim I'm using ambassaduer 10000's they have a capacity of 450 yards of 20lb. I have them set up from 225 copper to 325. copper
Lickety-Split

Copper ? May 06, 2015 6:29 am #1347

• Lickety-Split
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tim,
Baron has a nice set up with the reels he is using, the 55's are really a nice reel. The coldwater series from Okuma come in different sizes. the largest one they make might be something to look at.
Line capacity, good drag system, fast retrieve rate, are all something to consider when you purchase a reel for copper fishing.

300 coppers are my favorite for most of the summer fishing.
Lickety-Split

Last edit: by Lickety-Split.

Copper ? May 06, 2015 8:08 am #1348

• BNature
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1466
I've had very good luck with the Bass Pro Shops Offshore Angler Gold Cup GDC 30 reels for 300 coppers. Line capacity pairs up nicely with a Shimano 800 at about 1/3rd the price.

Again, I say it's SPORT FISHING, not a test of endurance. I draw my line at 300 coppers. Even running them down the shute or off big boards so you don't have spend the first five minutes of the fight battling the in-line board, a 300 copper is only marginally sporting. If you are a tournament angler and need meat in the box, go ahead with the 400s, 450s or 600s and knock yourself out.

• Page: